I am an educational technology professional specialising in virtual reality and blended learning. I’m also an editor and an English for Specific Purposes (ESP) teacher. All three roles and my background and experiences, such as in photography, digital imaging, business founding, and living and working in different countries and cultures, provide me with insights that I can use in my work to help my clients, students and other teachers.
I have an MA in EdTech and TESOL, a Cambridge Delta qualification (Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults, a certificate in LSP (Languages for Specific Purposes) didactics and technology integration, and a post-graduate certificate in teaching in multi-user virtual worlds in education.
Teaching regularly in an international environment, my knowledge of and experience with educational technology, and working on online, blended and mobile course design projects all combine to help me teach effectively and help create effective courses.
I have strong interpersonal, intercultural, communication and organisational skills and extensive experience in working in multicultural environments.
My main interests are:
• Developing and teaching EdTech supported ESP courses;
• Learning-centered course design, learner motivation and autonomy;
• Developing teachers’ and learners’ digital literacies and life skills;
• Supporting teachers in using technology appropriately and confidently.
My personal interests are plant and landscape photography, learning about and foraging for wild plants responsibly, hiking and environmentalism.
- I have worked as a language teacher in different countries and online since 2001, and have taught general, business, technical and academic English at different levels to students of all ages and backgrounds.
- I teach EAP (English for Academic Purposes) and ESAP (English for Specific Academic Purposes) at a UK university for part of the year.
Editing and course design
- I have developed and taught ESP courses for different professions (e.g. city planners, taxi drivers and aviation maintenance technicians), on different platforms, for face-to-face and blended delivery; provided editorial and technical support to authors new to digital writing; and have taken on other freelance editorial roles, including those of content and copy editor, cold reader and proofreader.
- I have worked on digital course development projects for various well-known international, educational companies and publishers.
- I have written online supplementary materials, lesson plans, teacher’s notes, online and downloadable project-based material, interactive exercises, and audio scripts.
- I am used to working online with remote teams and am familiar with many different learning and content management tools, authoring tools and project management and communication tools.
- I have a Certificate in LSP (Languages for Specific Purposes) Didactics and ICT (Information and Communication Technology) Integration.
Read my chapter on ESP and EdTech if you are interested in how to meaningfully integrate technology into ESP courses.
Blended and online learning
- With an MA in EdTech and TESOL, and being an active teacher, I have theoretical, pedagogical and practical knowledge of blended, flipped, online and mobile learning and multimedia course creation.
- I have developed and have participated in projects on developing blended and online courses, and mobile-first courses.
Read my chapter and this more practical article on designing and teaching an English course for taxi drivers.
This article is often cited as a good example for integrating technology in education in a low-tech, low-cost context.
Virtual reality in education
After exploring, using, conducting teacher training on and writing about language teaching in 3D virtual worlds between 2008 and 2010 (see list of activities below), I am now back to exploring immersive virtual reality. I conduct independent research, curate content, and am also presently the Fractional Research Manager at Immerse.
I share my findings, reflections and related work on my blog and write research-informed blog posts for Immerse.
Read my article Starting a Second Life on teaching in a virtual world
and Out of this world (forthcoming).
Some of my past virtual world teaching and teacher training activities:
- Participated in a postgraduate certificate course on MUVEs (Multi-User Virtual Worlds in Education) and blogged about it.
- Taught English (general and business) and cultural lessons in a 3D virtual world.
- Shared my lesson plans and reflections on a dedicated blog and wrote an article about it.
- Co-founded and led a professional development group for language teachers in virtual worlds.
- Trained teachers (including UN language teaching staff) to use a 3D virtual world for teaching languages.
- Co-designed and moderated two online 6-week sessions for language teachers on how to use virtual worlds in language education, which drew hundreds of participants worldwide.
- Gave webinars and presented on language teaching in virtual worlds.
You can find more information about my previous work experience and education on LinkedIn.